About Me

My photo
Ipswich, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi I'm Jay and I am training to run the London Marathon 2012 for Asthma UK.
Yes I am running the London Marathon, Yes I am mad, and Yes I plan to raise masses of money for Asthma UK.
So please follow me, and support me, with your help I can make it over that finish line.
My sponsorship page can be found by clicking here PLEASE support me by sponsoring me to run the London Marathon for Asthma UK.
And now a very short history about me... I am asthmatic myself and until a few years back was pushing on being obese, not only does running the Marathon give me the opportunity to give something back to such an important organisation, but it will be the crowning glory of my fitness regime, Asthmatic and overweight running 26 Miles for charity!
To find out more about what Asthma UK do visit their site by clicking here.

Wednesday 28 September 2011

Easy come, easy go?...

I woke up with a twinge in my back STILL this morning but I was determined to get to the gym and try to run something, or at least I was after I had turned over and fallen asleep for another 15 minutes… Oops!
Still I was up with the lark, well actually I have no idea if they were larks but they were making a racket singing at the rising sun and the cats were lined up in the kitchen (Yes all three without any arguments or hissing) waiting for their breakfast, this was where the first school boy error came, Bobble will not continue eating once disturbed, I put her food down, she tucked in, I realised the pan I wanted for breakfast was in the cupboard in front of her… Pants, so I made the coffee first instead :)

While I was stirring I started to worry, would all the hard work I have put in be gone? Is it easy come, easy go? Or rather with me, Painful and hard work to come, easy go? They say you lose it faster than you can gain it… I was worried!

Breakfast done, I headed to the gym… arriving just about 7… I went straight for a treadmill and started to walk while I was putting on my headphones increasing the speed about 1KPH every minute or so, just to get me warm.

So… Easy? Well not exactly easy but I was making real good headway keeping up the pace pushing through and my back seemed to ease the more I pushed on running, the warmer it got… 15 minutes in and I hadn’t even really started sweating, don’t get me wrong I was warm and working hard but my body was coping well, But then it seemed to hit me, and I had to have a break, I didn’t walk but I slowed the pace still running and still following the beat, I found today that I also struggled to keep my speed under control, my feet just kept wanting to speed up and I was having to consciously slow myself down, I got to 30 minutes in and I was on about 4K, a little behind where I wanted to be but okay, I upped the speed and covered the screen with my towel, the trainer on my track said this next section was 10 minutes at 165 beats per minute, so I knew I didn’t want to stop or slow for at least the next 10 minutes and I needed to stick with the beat, not being able to see the screen always seems to help focus me.

The 10 minutes passed in what seemed like a flash and I checked out the screen, 6K so far I was soo chuffed and with a bad back, I pushed on and managed another 1.5K a total of 7.5K… impressive for someone with a bad back and allot of body fat, what made me feel even better was the fact I felt like I could have carried on, and completed my 10K but sadly time was ticking and I just didn’t have that extra 10 minutes to push but I felt like I could so in my mind that’s a bonus!

Just to recap (I am rather pleased seeing how my health has been) 7.5K today, so seems I haven’t lost ANY of my fitness levels.

I cooled off and did a few stretches, my back was feeling okay if a little stiff, but my feet were hurting more to be honest, having said this as I now sit at my desk and my back is hurting rather allot, but I am keeping it moving and I have my fluffy jacket on just to keep my back warm, I think it’ll be okay, what doesn’t kill it will make it stronger :)

Tomorrow is re-program, so I do hope that my back is okay for that, I will be with trainer at 6:30 tomorrow to run through a new schedule and see how he feels I have been getting on with the current one, am looking forward to the change!

Why am I doing all this? Well frankly it’s because I want to be an underwear model, and wear speedos in the pool, Stop laughing I am serious!!!

Aside from wanting to look like a Greek God, and walk around in nothing but pants all day I am also (well my main reason really) doing this to earn money for Asthma UK by running the Virgin London Marathon, Asthma UK work tirelessly to help people who have to live with asthma and even more importantly to save lives… I suffered with asthma seriously as a child and I can tell you it isn’t pleasant.

To find out more about Asthma UK visit http://www.asthma.org.uk and once you have taken a look pop along to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JohnClitherow and sponsor me to run the Virgin London Marathon, why not sponsor me £1 per mile?

Live Long, and prosper,
Jay (Red John).

No comments: