About Me

My photo
Ipswich, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi I'm Jay and I am training to run the London Marathon 2012 for Asthma UK.
Yes I am running the London Marathon, Yes I am mad, and Yes I plan to raise masses of money for Asthma UK.
So please follow me, and support me, with your help I can make it over that finish line.
My sponsorship page can be found by clicking here PLEASE support me by sponsoring me to run the London Marathon for Asthma UK.
And now a very short history about me... I am asthmatic myself and until a few years back was pushing on being obese, not only does running the Marathon give me the opportunity to give something back to such an important organisation, but it will be the crowning glory of my fitness regime, Asthmatic and overweight running 26 Miles for charity!
To find out more about what Asthma UK do visit their site by clicking here.

Thursday 26 January 2012

87 Days Left, A long run, And the radio show!

Good Evening Readers,

Firstly… Yes you are right that was me you heard talking to Lesley Dolphin on BBC Radio Suffolk this afternoon, missed me… you can always listen again here  http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00n2qp5/Lesley_Dolphin_Rene_van_den_Oort_and_John_Clitherow/ I turn up at 54 minutes!! It was amazing and a real confidence boost to speak to Lesley and to talk about my blog, this blog, and what it means to me.


Well last night after I posted my blog I got very tired very fast, I put this down to a lack of a certain black fizzy drink that I tend to enjoy in the evenings, this week I have been cutting it down and last night I didn’t have a drop, just water… So I was in bed and long asleep by 10pm, if a little grumpy as my partner pointed out!

I awoke this morning and climbed out of bed at 6am, after breakfast I headed off to the gym to begin my long run.

First thing on today’s agenda I applied my “Body Glide” anti-chafe stick to the soles of my feet, and also my thighs where my shorts seem to rub, I got on the treadmill and began, first a walk while I was getting the music lined up on the iPod, gradually increasing the pace bit by bit until I broke into a gentle jog, I stayed here for 9 minutes, I then found my training tracks, now I haven’t used these new ones much yet, but they are on the beat training, you run to the rhythm, and as you go it tells you how long you have been running and how many beats per minute, it starts at 165… that is 165 foot falls per minute, it’s about 10 – 10.5KPH from this point the speed gradually increases through the workout, the music is upbeat and the rhythm is easy to follow, and a trainer keeps giving you motivational information and encouragement, and you just run…

20 minutes into the session is where I normally start to feel sore feet, blisters forming… I know it’s probably time to look into some new trainers but they aren’t that old… but I think maybe they could be a better fit, but nothing, this anti-chafe stick I had applied to the soles of my feet was stopping it, no blisters forming, no pain… then I realised my shorts weren’t rubbing, this was REALLY novel, and it just meant that now it was me, and the run.

I pushed on to 30 minutes, I was finding myself short of breath now, this wasn’t a surprise as I have only just recovered from a chest infection and this is the first long run since then, I have been putting it off rather for this reason so I wasn’t surprised, I slowed the pace to recover a little and took some deep breaths before picking up the pace again, it felt quite hard going from this point on, my breakfast felt like it was “Just there” I clearly didn’t get up early enough before I ran, but I carried on all be it at a little slower pace than I wanted to be at.

I hit 50 minutes, usually by this time I have done my 10K, this morning I was at 8.5K so not to bad seeing as it’s the first time back since the chest infection, and saving grace I did feel like I could have carried on at that pace up to the 10K, but sadly I was out of time, I needed to cool down and stretch out and take a shower before work, but all in all I was really pleased, Spin session tomorrow… then I intend to run at the weekend too!

Once I got to work I spent most the rest of the morning thinking about my Radio interview with Lesley, I think I was a little nervous as we all would be but also very excited, I couldn't wait to speak with her, and hopefully show you all how passionate I am about this, about my fitness, about running the London marathon, and raising money for Asthma UK.

So what have I been eating today:
  • Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs on home-made Wholemeal bread (yeah it's the same loaf still going)
  • Post Run: Protein Shake and an orange
  • Lunch: Bubble and Squeak patty
  • Dinner: Bubble and Squeak patty (this is the last one) and some spicy beans... Oh, and a lil bit of Chocolate cake, I figure today I am allowed!
All in all I think it's been a pretty amazing day, Good food, Great workout, brilliant chat with Lesley, my confidence and my enthusiasm is running high... I am having a real buz!

So what's all this about, well right now my goal is to run the London Marathon to raise much needed funds for Asthma UK, Did you know that 75% of hospital admissions for asthma are preventable, and 90% of all deaths caused by asthma can be saved? Asthma UK are working towards this, but they need our help, to find out more visit http://www.asthma.org.uk then pop along to my Virgin Money Giving site at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JohnClitherow and sponsor me to run the London Marathon, why not sponsor me just £1, maybe £1 a mile? Whatever you can afford, anything is amazing!

Live Strong, and see you all VERY soon,
Jay (Red John).

No comments: