About Me

My photo
Ipswich, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi I'm Jay and I am training to run the London Marathon 2012 for Asthma UK.
Yes I am running the London Marathon, Yes I am mad, and Yes I plan to raise masses of money for Asthma UK.
So please follow me, and support me, with your help I can make it over that finish line.
My sponsorship page can be found by clicking here PLEASE support me by sponsoring me to run the London Marathon for Asthma UK.
And now a very short history about me... I am asthmatic myself and until a few years back was pushing on being obese, not only does running the Marathon give me the opportunity to give something back to such an important organisation, but it will be the crowning glory of my fitness regime, Asthmatic and overweight running 26 Miles for charity!
To find out more about what Asthma UK do visit their site by clicking here.

Tuesday 24 January 2012

89 Days, And I didn't recognise you with your clothes on!

Good Evening friends,


So the date and time is set for the live chat about this very blog, Yes that's right, All being well I will be speaking to Lesley Dolphin on her "All About Suffolk" show on BBC Radio Suffolk at 1:30pm, Thursday afternoon... I am really looking forward to it, but at the same time I am a little nervous so listen in please, then feel free to call me afterwards and laugh at how awful I sounded :)


Back to the training, I was up this morning at 6:00, and getting myself ready for the gym... Sadly I realised I didn't have my lucky gym cap, well it's not really lucky as such but I have to wear a cap to cover the mess that is my hair at that time in the morning... I usually wear it until I've warmed up then just carry it around like my security blanket, sad? Yes a little!


So I don another cap and head to the gym with the intention of stopping at reception to claim back my cap, I arrived and sauntered up to reception where another regular was sorting something out, while someone was checking to see if my cap had been handed in the regular clocked me and said "Oh Hello, Didn't recognise you with your clothes on" at this point you could hear a pin drop and I went bright red, she bust out laughing before I could answer and said "oh, sorry, it's because we only ever see each other in the Jacuzzi so he has his trunks on" I think it made my morning I was giggling all the way to the changing room and I think it brightened the receptionists day to... Always happy to make people smile :)


Once all the frivolity was over, I got my iPod on and got up to the gym, where I popped my head in the door to the spin room and was re-united with my cap, this morning was gonna be a good one!


The workout went really well, It wasn't a full workout but I warmed up with a jog on the treadmill for 10 minutes, followed by chest press, I then grabbed a medicine ball and made a bee-line for the power plates, you will know from my previous blogs that this normally REALLY hurts, and I was ready for the pain, I stated off with my lunges an nothing, all was good, so I carried on and here I am now sitting here an my glutes are fine, I have a slight ache in my calves but thats it, nothing more... I was pleased, this means that my body is finally getting used to the power plate, and this means I am gaining strength, and therefore muscle mass... all good for burning more calories, the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn, even when your just sitting here typing your blog with a cat on ya lap!


I carried on with the workout, Single arm row was next... sadly I had to drop the weight on this, I normally lift 18KG a side but today it just felt a little to heavy so I dropped to a 16KG and finished the workout, sadly I was now running out of time, so I had a cool down on the treadmill and stretched out... then hit the showers... I was feeling rather good, and very energised!


Tomorrow is a nice relaxing (yeah right) Pilates always good to stretch out and brilliant for building up the core muscles, it's funny to think that you can break a sweat not doing Cardio or lifting heavy weights, but if you are doing it right Pilates really does make you sweat.


Over to today's food diary:

  • Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs, with Salmon
  • Mid-Morning Snack: Dried fruit and nuts
  • Lunch: Home-made Onion and Butternut Squash soup, and two small slices of Home-made wholegrain bread
  • Dinner: Sausages, Mash and Cabbage
I have also been drinking mostly water today (always good to shed the lbs).

I also managed to re-stock on my Protein powder today, I had the last this morning after the gym, luckily I ordered some more and picked it up from the delivery depot today on my way home from work, it's a HUGE help for the muscles to recover and also keeps the apatite down as Protein is key for the body to recognise it's full.

So all in all a good day, and I have settled down with a glass of water to watch the biggest looser, I would love to pull big losses like they do each week, but the fact of the matter is they have people telling them what to eat, and when... AND they workout up to 4 time a day, something I can't manage with a full time job.

Now for the shameless plug, why am training so hard I hear you ask, well apart from my strong desire to get fitter and loose more weight I am also training to run the Virgin London Marathon to raise money for Asthma UK, to find out more about what they do take a look at http://www.asthma.org.uk then pop along to my Sponsorship page http://uk.virginmoneyjustgiving.com/JohnClitherow and sponsor me whatever you can, how about £1 a mile?!

Take care,
Jay (Red John)


No comments: