About Me

My photo
Ipswich, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi I'm Jay and I am training to run the London Marathon 2012 for Asthma UK.
Yes I am running the London Marathon, Yes I am mad, and Yes I plan to raise masses of money for Asthma UK.
So please follow me, and support me, with your help I can make it over that finish line.
My sponsorship page can be found by clicking here PLEASE support me by sponsoring me to run the London Marathon for Asthma UK.
And now a very short history about me... I am asthmatic myself and until a few years back was pushing on being obese, not only does running the Marathon give me the opportunity to give something back to such an important organisation, but it will be the crowning glory of my fitness regime, Asthmatic and overweight running 26 Miles for charity!
To find out more about what Asthma UK do visit their site by clicking here.

Wednesday 27 July 2011

Psyching up for the first long run…

Well yesterday saw a very successful Spin session in the morning, With the usual side order of banter… Sadly Track 5 seems NO easier at all, well I say that I was able to stick with it a little more this time without slowing down, so maybe it is getting easier?!

As usual post Spin I was found bubbling away in the Jacuzzi happily chatting to others who have completed the Marathon, I am starting to feel more and more like I could actually do this, a good thing I suppose seeing as I have made that commitment J

I did also have a little more exercise last night, that of cleaning a swimming pool, it’s harder work than you might think but for some strange reason I really enjoy it, so Spin done, and pool clean… and I ate mostly salad stuffs… can’t be bad!

Today I hit the gym a little later than usual, I was a little slower getting out of bed and pouring coffee down my throat than usual, not sure why but I think as I didn’t have a specific class booked at a specific time I was just being a rebel, so I arrived a whole 15 minutes later than normal and began a full resistance workout, I started on the treadmill just to warm up, then it was legs, arms, lunges, more arms, chin ups, the dreaded plank (Holding your body still for 30 seconds like that, my god… sweat was pouring off me) then I had a short jog / cool off on the treadmill, and did many stretches, this was to try and stop the aches and pains I felt last week, so far it’s worked with the exception of a small dull ache in my Glutes and stomach area. But by this time I was still 15 minutes behind, but I still managed to cram in a little Jacuzzi and a steam!!

So this leaves me ready for tomorrow… and psyching myself up for the first long run… I am hoping (but am not guaranteeing) that I will make 10K and I am interested to see how long this takes me, seeing as my goal is to do it in 1 hour in 4 weeks’ time… I intend to do one of these long runs once a week, so this will be my first of 4 before the next re-program, when the PT will no doubt ramp the sessions up even harder.

I was just discussing the 10K run tomorrow with a good friend, we came to the conclusion that to do this before work and that early in the morning I was mad, and that I would probably die (yes we are a little dramatic) however then more seriously we were discussing how much I was going to ache all day Thursday no matter how much I stretched, she then told me that the secret to not aching is to have an ice bath straight after to get the lactic acid out of your muscles, Oh course, me being me immediately poo’ed on this idea from a great height, to then be presented with this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/treatment_room/features/newsid_3097000/3097114.stm detailing how and why this works and that she is correct (As women always are) She is likely reading this now chuckling to herself, I did however say that 10K or 40K I would not then put myself through the torture of sitting in an ice bath until as the link above suggests “Your legs go numb” ho hum.

So for tea tonight I will be having Sausage and tomato pasta, notice how I am stuffing in the Pasta the night before a long run, I figure I will need the energy.

Over to the business bit, there will be no jokes about plugs tonight (I feel I need to get this one a rest for a little while, or at least until I can think of a few more anyway). So I am running the London Marathon for Asthma UK who among many other things are pioneering a new Asthma and Allergy friendly certification program, Asthma UK will award this certification to products that have been subject to rigorous independent scientific testing to verify their ability to help people with asthma and associated allergies restrict the number of allergy triggers they come into contact with, this type of work is fundamental to people who are trying to live with asthma and can make their everyday life easier to deal with to see what else Asthma UK do take a peek at their website http://www.asthma.org.uk and please sponsor me whatever you can to help, my Virgin Money Giving page can be found here http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JohnClitherow or if you would prefer to give me the case and add your name to an old fashioned piece of paper, let me know and I will swing by and collect ya money!!

So until tomorrow when I blog how I get on with my first 10K, or at least as close as I get to it this time!!

See you all soon,
Jay (Red John).

1 comment:

cath said...

And chuckle i did while relishing in the thought that it wont be me in the ice block ;)